Things To Do
- Maybe add some side artwork
- Look into investing in a controller
- Setup Hyperspin Fully
- Replace lost Roms
- Add extra artwork
- Improved the Bezel Alignment
- Completely new PC Hardware
- Created a new Marquee
|Cabinet - Building 2|
|Written by Maxi|
|Saturday, 21 February 2009 17:11|
The retro PC has finally found its new home where it should be living for next so many years... So now that all the base pieces had been painted it was just a simple task of screwing everything together and enjoying the view, or was it? First of all I went about screwing in the back board into the baton frame on the right hand side, this was extremely difficult at keeping it straight as it was the first 2 pieces connecting and it was only myself with a slightly skewed piece of wood trying to keep everything in line. After taking me around 20 minutes to pilot drill and screw in 5 screws I thought this project is going to only get worse, but after getting it upright and chucking it into the corner of my living room I managed to get a fair amount of help from my wall to stop the unit from sliding around while I was trying to put the remaining 5 screws in. Continue reading to see some more pictures and how the rest of the build has gone so far.
There, a picture of all the base unit built along with a slight touch up of paint around all of the edges to ensure I will get a smooth covering when I add some colour. Once the back board had been attached to both side pieces of MDF it started to become a lot easier to add the remaining base pieces. I next began to line up the other 2 parts of the unit to make sure everything was in line, after checking I then proceeded in attaching the floor of the unit with the batons present on the side pieces. With this being so simple I just kept screwing without checking the alignment of the rest of the unit, by the last screw I realised that this was a fairly big mistake as the front panel now left a good 3-4cm gap between the side panels. Luckily for me the screws came out fairly easily and I was able to apply more pressure to the side of the cabinet allowing me to have a more precise fitting. This again is something I think you wouldn't really have to take in consideration if you had a few people around to give you a hand while your screwing everything together, but as I was by myself I needed to improvise. I used everything heavy I could find such as paint tins, tool boxes and even a cookbook to add extra weight and elevation while I was busy positioning the screws.
Finally I screwed in the front panel of my currently in progress arcade cabinet which gave extra support and made it far easier to move around. I used a slightly different method when screwing in the front of cabinet, I did this because I didn't want any visible screws on visible parts of the unit such as sides and the front. By making a slight indent using some sort of drilling tool (sorry, I have no idea what the technical name of it is but there is a picture below) and then screwing into batons gave a much more cleaner look, I will be also adding filler into these slight indents and painting over them for the perfect finish. It might be a few days before the next update now as I need the rest of the cabinet parts to be made.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 March 2009 12:18|